Places of Interest nearby
Number of texts: 1
The church of Saint Eloi was already an independent parish in 1069. Originally Romanesque it was altered to Gothic style though the Romanesque octagonal tower remains to this day. It was never occupied during the First World War but is was shelled, unfortunately, and it and the whole village were totally destroyed.
A Neo-Gothic building was raised on the foundations of the old church in 1922-23 after the plans of the architect J Coomans.It is a market hall style church in yellow brick with three naves. The bas-relief of the portal depicts the return of Westouter prisoners of war.
Inside are confessionals from the 17th and 18th centuries and an organ, a masterpiece by Jules Anneessens, from 1920-29.
On the square in front of the church is the chapel of Our Lady of Czestochowa (Poland) built to commemorate the liberation on 6th September 1944.