This site uses cookies to improve your experience and the quality of our services. By using this site you agree to its use of cookies. More information Hide

Schloss Linderhof

Need a hotel nearby?

Sponsored links

Routes nearby

Places of Interest nearby

Matched content

Hotels nearby

Restaurants nearby

Sponsored links

🔎
Fortress
Location type: Fortress
Location address: Deutschland, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Ettal
Number of texts: 2
4 stars
Made by DromosReference
Made by Dromos

In 1878, construction was completed on King Ludwig II’s Schloss Linderhof, an ornate palace in neo-French Rococo style, with handsome formal gardens. The grounds contained a Venus grotto lit by electricity, where opera singers performed while Ludwig was rowed in a boat shaped like a shell. In the grounds a romantic woodsman’s hut was also built around an artificial tree. The hut, referred to as Hundings Hut, is a reference to a similar structure in der Ring des Niebelungen. There is a sword embedded in the tree. In Walküre, Siegfried’s father Siegmund, pulls the sword from the tree. Inside the palace, iconography reflected Ludwig’s fascination with the absolutist government of Ancien Régime France. Ludwig saw himself as the “Moon King”, a romantic shadow of the earlier “Sun King”, Louis XIV of France. From Linderhof, Ludwig enjoyed moonlit sleigh rides in an elaborate eighteenth century sleigh, complete with footmen in eighteenth century livery.

Linked themes: Literature, Music

Classify this POI
Link to route

Made by wikipedia.org | Reference Cezarika1 | © CC 3.0
Made by wikipedia.org | Reference Wikipedia.org | © CC 3.0

Linderhof Palace is a Schloss in Germany, in southwest Bavaria near Ettal Abbey. It is the smallest of the three palaces built by King Ludwig II of Bavaria and the only one which he lived to see completed.
Ludwig already knew the area around Linderhof from his youth when he had accompanied his father King Maximilian II of Bavaria on his hunting trips in the Bavarian Alps. When Ludwig II became king in 1864 he inherited the so-called Königshäuschen from his father, and in 1869 began enlarging the building. In 1874 he decided to tear down the Königshäuschen and rebuild it on its present-day location in the park. At the same time three new rooms and the staircase were added to the remaining U-shaped complex, and the previous wooden exterior was clad with stone façades. The building was designed in the style of the second rococo-period. Between 1863 and 1886 a total of 8,460,937 marks was spent constructing Linderhof.

Classify this POI
Link to route

More information

Comments

Add comment