Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Deutschland, Berlin, Berlin
Number of texts: 2
King Frederick II of Prussia shortly after his accession to the throne commissioned the original building of the Berlin State Opera on the site. Construction work began in July 1741. After the collapse of the German Empire in 1918, the Opera was renamed Staatsoper unter den Linden and the Königliche Kapelle became Kapelle der Staatsoper. After the Berlin Wall was built in 1961, the Opera was somewhat isolated, but still maintained a comprehensive repertoire that featured the classic and romantic period together with contemporary ballet and operas.
The Staatsoper Unter den Linden (Berlin State Opera) is a German opera company. Its permanent home is the opera house on the Unter den Linden boulevard in the Mitte district of Berlin, which also hosts the Staatskapelle Berlin orchestra. Originally the Hofoper (court opera) from 1742, it was named Königliches Opernhaus (Royal Opera House) in 1844, and Staatsoper unter den Linden in 1918. It is also known as Deutsche Staatsoper, and short as Lindenoper. From 1949 to 1990 it was the state opera of East Germany.