Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Deutschland, Bielefeld
Number of texts: 1
The 6th Infantry Division (6. Infanterie-Division) was a unit of the German Army during World War II. Formed in October 1934 from Infanterieführer V in Bielefeld, the division was mobilized on 26 August 1939 for the upcoming invasion of Poland. At that time, it consisted of the usual German infantry division elements: three infantry regiments of three battalions each, one three-battalion regiment of light artillery, one battalion of heavy artillery (from a separate artillery regiment, but attached to the particular division), a Panzerjäger (anti-tank) Battalion, a reconnaissance (Aufklärungs) Battalion, a Signals Battalion, a Pioneer (Engineer) Battalion, and divisional supply, medical, and administrative units. In 1944 the division was first renamed 6. Grenadier-Division (25 July 1944) and again in 6. Volksgrenadier-Division (9 October 1944). The division was destroyed during the Soviet Vistula–Oder Offensive in January 1945 and reestablished as 6. Infanterie-Division (10 March 1945) using elements of Shadow Division Dresden.