Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Deutschland, Zollernalbkreis
Number of texts: 1
The New Castle is a nineteenth century palace in Hechingen in Germany. It served as the city residence for princes of the House of Hohenzollern-Hechingen.
The first building on the site was a Renaissance-style residence built by Eitel Frederick IV, Count of Hohenzollern in the late 16th century. Apart from a few minor remnants, it was demolished by Friedrich Hermann Otto at the start of the 19th century to make way for the three-wing present structure, built between 1818 and 1819, designed by Rudolf Burnitz and funded by French reparations from the Congress of Vienna. Burnitz was a pupil of Friedrich Weinbrenner, a leading neo-classical architect in the Grand Duchy of Baden. The castle remained unfinished, since the principality was in debt and the funds for its construction ran out.