Places of Interest nearby
Number of texts: 1
It is believed the Roman road of Oímbra might be part of the natural route designed by the Tartessos in 7th century B.C., used to trade with the north of the Peninsula. This was the route used by the Romans to erect the Roman road that would join Cantabria with the southern lands of Hispania, and where this region was included. This route favoured the circulation of merchandise, troops and travellers besides helping to spread and expand Roman culture. The 12th Road of the Antonino route went from Chaves to Iria Flavia, passing through Carregal, near Oímbra, crossing river Búbal opposite Guimarei (Monterrei) and Orense. In the 3rd century, a secondary route went via Rabal to the east of San Cibrao, Coelobriga, and the east of Oímbra, Portela and Vagoeira, joining the 13th road at Búbal Bridge.
This section of the road, probably Roman origin with medieval layout recently renovated is 150 metres long and steep, which concludes in the beautiful parish church of Santa Maria, dated 1634.
Numerous Roman remains can be found in the territory. It is understood the Romans settled here as it is an exceptional strategic enclave, climate and fertility.