Places of Interest nearby
Number of texts: 1
Theatre Garcia Barbon began to build at end of the 19th century, thanks to a group of enthusiasts from Vigo and eager to enter the theatrical culture, which rushed the enterprise of building a theatre. After years of economic problems, the theatre is opened on July 15, 1900 took the name of “Teatro Rosalía de Castro”, and being his first feature the opera Aida.
During the years following its inauguration and after an era of economic failure, the theatre went bankrupt, becoming store during a short period of time until, by popular request, the benefactor D. José García Barbón recovered the property and returned it to allocate to the representation of plays.
On February 8, 1910 a fire completely calcined building. Three years later, thanks to D. José García Barbón nieces who decided to continue the work of his uncle, the Galician Architect Antonio Palacios would be responsible for the new building; This project would give the building in a great extent occupying the entire surface of the former Theatre more two annexed buildings. The building has a neo-Baroque style, in the early 20th century modernist current, inspired by Charles Garnier’s Paris Opera and the teatro Arriaga de Bilbao.
The new theatre was inaugurated on April 23, 1927, with the name of theater Garcia Barbon. In addition to theater, it consisted of different areas such as opera, operetta, comedy, concerts, dances of society…