Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, Shepway, Lydd
Number of texts: 3
Lydd gave its name to the explosive Lyddite or Picric acid. It tasted bitter. That’s what the name Picric acid means (in Greek). In 1888, it was tried here for the first time in the UK. Lyddite was the same stuff that was patented by the French Eugène Turpin in 1884, known there as melinite.
Lydd is the largest town in the Romney Marsh. Lydd was one of the first sandy islands to form as the bay evolved into what is now called the Romney Marsh. Lydd reached the height of its prosperity during the 13th century, when it was a member of the Cinque Ports. The Cinque Ports was a confederation of coastal towns in Kent and Sussex. It was originally formed for military and trade purposes.
Linked themes: History
Lydd is a town in Kent, England, lying on the Romney Marsh. It is one of the larger villages on the marsh, and the most southerly village in Kent. Lydd reached the height of its prosperity during the 13th century, when it was a corporate member of the Cinque Ports, a “limb” of Romney. Actually located on Denge Marsh, Lydd was one of the first sandy islands to form as the bay evolved into what is now called the Romney Marsh. The name Hlyda, which derives from the Latin word for “shore”, was found in a Saxon charter dating from the 8th century.