Places of Interest nearby
Number of texts: 2
Ashton Keynes has always suffered from flooding, and the River Thames that flows along beside High Road and crosses under Gosditch Street by the little bridge was prone to washing down to the School and beyond.
Villagers expected to be flooded every winter although the water could be controlled and directed to some extent by opening and closing ‘‘hatches’’ on the river. People talked of keeping their back door and front door open so the water flowed straight through, and of a foot of water standing indoors for weeks.
Ashton Keynes was known as AESCTUN in 800 AD and appeared in the Domesday book as ESSITONE in 1086. From Mediaeval times when this whole area was a Royal Forest, through the Civil War when Cirencester was held by Parliamentarians, through to modern times ordinary people have lived out their lives in Gosditch.
The School was built in this street in 1870 and a Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1840, but became a baker’‘s shop later.
The Horse and Jockey was a “scrumpy house”, selling cider made from the apples from the orchards in the village. The Inn was the social centre of the community where dominoes were laid and gossip exchanged, and the hard times debated.