Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, Cheshire West and Chester, Backford
Number of texts: 3
Backford Hall is a country house in the village of Backford, Cheshire, England. It was built in 1863 on the site of earlier halls, and was designed by John Cunningham. Its style is described as “exuberant Elizabethan, Jacobean and Bohemian Rococo”. The authors of the Buildings of England series describe the north front as being “wildly over-egged”. The house is constructed in brick with slate roofs. Since 1946 it has been used as offices by Chester County Council, and in 2012 its sale was agreed for residential development if planning approval be granted. The house is designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building.
Backford is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It is situated between Chester and Ellesmere Port on the A41 trunk road, to the north of the Shropshire Union Canal. (Map) Backford Cross is located about 1.5 miles (2 km) north of Backford. According to the 2001 Census, it had a population of 109.