Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, Basingstoke and Deane, Sherborne Saint John
Number of texts: 2
The Vyne was built for Lord Sandys, King Henry VIII’s Lord Chamberlain. The house retains its Tudor chapel, with stained glass. The classical portico on the north front was added in 1654 by Inigo Jones’s pupil John Webb. In the mid-eighteenth century The Vyne belonged to Horace Walpole’s close friend John Chaloner Chute, who designed the Palladian staircase, whose magnificent apparent scale belies its actual small size.
The Vyne is a 16th century English historic house which once played host to King Henry VIII and contains the original Tudor chapel.