Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, Southampton
Number of texts: 1
St. Julien’s Church on Winkle Street in Southampton was the chapel of the Hospital of St. Julien or God’s House which was founded circa 1197 as an almshouse and hostel for travellers on pilgrimage to Canterbury. It was used regularly by French Protestants from the 16th century until 1939 and is thus also known as the French Church. The church is sometimes referred to as “St Julian’s” but Southampton City Council’s Heritage Environment Record clarifies that “St Julien’s” is the correct spelling, which is also used on Ordnance Survey maps.