Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, Shropshire
Number of texts: 1
Shrewsbury Unitarian Church is a Grade II listed building situated on the High Street in Shrewsbury, England. The meeting house was founded in its present site in 1662 by Revds Francis Tallents and James Bryan, two dissenters ejected from their living at St Chad’s Church, Shrewsbury. It was destroyed by a mob of Jacobite supporters in 1715 but rebuilt the same year. The whole building was rebuilt on its present site in 1839 by local architect, A.B. Deakin with money provided by George the First’s government. The town plan of 1882 shows it had a small courtyard, which was removed when the High Street was widened, and that it seated 350 people.