Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, Cheshire West and Chester
Number of texts: 1
Poulton Abbey was a Cistercian medieval monastic house in Cheshire, England, which was founded in 1147 and moved in 1214 to a site near Leek, Staffordshire, where it became Dieulacres Abbey. The original site became a grange estate of the abbey, and the chapel at the site was used as a one-room local church. In 1487 the abbey leased the estate to the prominent Manley family and the chapel was expanded to include a nave, chancel, and tower for use as its private chapel. By the 20th century all abbey buildings had been lost, though the site of the chapel was noted on a 17th-century estate map. Archaeological investigations began in 1995, first as a joint project of Chester Archaeology and Liverpool University, and later as an independent project. The chapel was first excavated and 1200-1800 burials were found in the surrounding area. Evaluation trenches and geophysical investigations have also found a ring-ditch and a major Roman structure near the site. The main monastic compound has not been found. On June 20-23, 2006, the archaeological television programme Time Team did an evaluation of a site known as Poulton Hall to the north of the chapel site to determine whether it might be the site of the Abbey buildings. The investigation determined that the site was probably the location of the grange buildings, but was not the location of the Abbey itself. The site is a scheduled monument.