Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Italia, Lucca
Number of texts: 2
The Sant’Anna di Stazzema massacre was a Nazi German atrocity in the hill village of Sant’Anna di Stazzema in Tuscany, Italy, in the course of an operation against the Italian resistance movement during the Italian Campaign of World War II. On 12 August 1944, about 560 (130 children) local villagers and refugees were murdered and their bodies burnt in a scorched earth policy action by the German occupation forces of the Waffen-SS.
Sant’Anna di Stazzema is a village in Tuscany in central Italy. Administratively, it is a frazione of the comune of Stazzema, in the province of Lucca. In 1944, it was the site of a notorious Nazi atrocity made by a part of 16th SS Panzergrenadier Division during World War II. The village was only partially rebuilt after the war. Since 2000, it has been the site of the Italian National Park of Peace (Parco Nazionale della Pace) with memorials and a museum dedicated to the massacre.