Places of Interest nearby
Number of texts: 1
In the winter of 1878, the German Baron Otto Friedrich von Lilienfeld began the construction of two parallel jetties – the North jetty and the South jetty, at his own expense. The original harbour gate was made from the rows of piles and stone stacks piled on juniper branches. Stone stack piling was done by women. In 1929, the jetties were extended using concrete blocks. The length of the channel was 950 metres. However, the narrow entrance of the channel (52 metres) and the jetties built in parallel, made the vessel traffic difficult. In Soviet times, when the jetties were guarded by border guards, walks along them were prohibited. About ten years ago, there were no longer any bans; however, the stone stack had become dangerous for walks due to the impact of storms and ice movement. In 2010, the jetties were reconstructed; they are now safe for walks again. At present, the length of the North and the South jetties is 287 metres and 297.5 metres, respectively.