This site uses cookies to improve your experience and the quality of our services. By using this site you agree to its use of cookies. More information Hide

Maruekhathayawan Palace

Need a hotel nearby?

Sponsored links

Routes nearby

Places of Interest nearby

Matched content

Hotels nearby

Restaurants nearby

Sponsored links

🔎
Palace
Location type: Palace
Location address:
Number of texts: 6
4 stars

The palace comprises 3 groups of pavilions, namely, Samutharaphiman, the ladies’ quarter, Phisansakhon, the King’s quarter, and Samoson Sewakamat, the theatre and throne hall. These pavilions are connected by covered wooden bridges. As for the buildings, they are built of wood , elevated on ferro concrete posts, roofed with cement roof tiles. The overall atmosphere is lofty, and comfortable, suitable for the seaside environment.

Classify this POI
Link to route

Maruekhathayawan Palace was built as a summer palace of King Rama VI who, at that time, had a health problem; thus the doctor advised that he should stay in a seaside resort for better environment and fresh air. The King commissioned Mr. E. Forno and Mr. Ercole Manfredi, Italian architects to design the palace based on his lay out and conceptual plan. The construction was carried out in 1923 - 1924 AD.

Classify this POI
Link to route

Another important building in neighbouring area, contemporary to the palace, is Chao Phraya Ramrakhop House that the King had built for Chao Phraya Ramrakhop, General Aide-de-Camp to the King and the Royal Page of the Bed. The house has a raised floor with a wide deck, exposed brick masonry walls and wooden structures.

Classify this POI
Link to route

Another special feature of the buildings is the ant protection design by surrounding every part that touch the ground, i.e. post bases, wall bases, with a small pool that when filled up with water, could effectively prevent the ants from climbing up the buildings.

Classify this POI
Link to route

This summer palace, referred to as ‘The palace of love and hope’ is located between Cha-Am and Hua Hin. It was built under the royal command of King Rama VI in the year 1923, with the material from the demolished Hat Chao Samran Palace.

Classify this POI
Link to route

At present, Maruekhathayawan Palace is open as a museum taken care by the Border Patrol Police Bureau, who worked with the Fine Arts Department on the restoration of the palace in 1983.

Classify this POI
Link to route

Comments

Add comment