Places of Interest nearby
Number of texts: 1
U-1308 was the last Type VII/41 submarine to be laid down, launched and commissioned by Nazi Germany’s Kriegsmarine during World War II. The Oberkommando der Marine or OKM, , had decided near the end of World War II to put all of its resources into building newer types of Unterseeboot, such as the types XXI and XXIII. U-1308 was part of a batch of eight U-boats ordered on 1 August 1942 to be built at Flensburger Schiffbau-Gesellschaft, Flensburg . She was laid down on 16 February 1944 and launched on 22 November. The eight boats were commissioned over a 12-month period between February 1944 and 17 January 1945 .
As U-1308 was the last Type VII, the Kriegsmarine fitted her out to be one of the most advanced. U-1308 was one of nine Type VIIs that the Kriegsmarine fitted with an experimental synthetic rubber skin of anechoic tiles known as Alberich, which had been designed to counter the Allies’ asdic/sonar devices. U-1308 was also one of two Type VIIC/41s that was equipped with a new design of passive sonar hydrophones, thus increasing detection ranges by approximately 70% over the older designs.