Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Österreich, Wien, Wien
Number of texts: 2
The Schottenkirche (English: Scottish Church) is a parish church in Vienna attached to the Schottenstift, founded by Hiberno-Scottish Benedictine monks in the 12th century. In 1418, the Duke Albert V of Austria transferred it to the German-speaking Benedictine monks from the Melk Abbey during the Melker Reform initiated after the Council of Constance. The church has been elevated to the rank of Basilica Minor in 1958.
After composer Joseph Haydn died in Vienna, a great memorial service was held in the Schottenkirche on June 15, 1809, at which Mozart’s Requiem K.626 was performed.
The great Baroque musician Johann Fux was organist in Schottenkirche around 1690.