Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Österreich, Wien, Wien
Number of texts: 2
The Volksgarten (“folks’ park”) is a public parc in the Innere Stadt, the First District of Vienna and part of the Hofburg.
It was built over the city fortifications destroyed by Napoleon. It was opened to the public in 1820.
The park is famous for its rose gardens, the Theseus temple (1819-1823) by Peter von Nobile and the monument for Empress Elisabeth of Austria-Hungary (Sissi) (1907) by Friedrich Ohmann. There are also statues of the poets Franz Grillparzer and Karl von Hasenauer, and for the sculptor Hans Bitterlich.
The Volksgarten (English: People’s Garden) is a public park in the Innere Stadt first district of Vienna, Austria. The garden, which is part of the Hofburg Palace, was laid out by Ludwig Remy in 1821. The park was built over the city fortifications that were destroyed by Napoleon in 1809. The Volksgarten was opened to the public in 1823.