Sankt Pölten Cathedral dedicated to the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, is a Roman Catholic cathedral in Sankt Pölten, Lower Austria. It has been the episcopal seat of the Diocese of Sankt Pölten in Austria since 1785, having previously been the church of the Augustinian Abbey of St. Pölten, dissolved in 1784. The building, despite being a well-preserved late Romanesque structure, is Baroque in appearance.
The use of the site for religious buildings is believed to date from around 790, when a Benedictine monastery was established here, to which were brought the relics of Saint Hippolytus, after whom the present city is named. In 828, the monastery became a possession of the Diocese of Passau, and a centre of missionary activity, predominantly in Great Moravia. After the invasion of the Magyars in around 907, the monastery was almost entirely destroyed, and was not rebuilt until after the Battle of Lechfeld in 955. The first documentary reference is in a charter of 976 from Emperor Otto II to Bishop Pilgrim of Passau.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
Sankt Pölten (Stadt), Austria
© 2006-2019 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com