The University of Salzburg, also known as Paris Lodron University named after its founder, Prince-Archbishop Paris von Lodron, is a public university located in the Austrian city of Salzburg. It is divided into four faculties: Catholic theology, law, cultural and social science, as well as natural science. Established in 1622, the university was closed in 1810 and re-established in 1962. Today, it has around 18,000 students and 2,800 employees and is the largest educational institution in the State of Salzburg.
On 23 July 1622 Archbishop Paris Lodron appointed the scholar Albert Keuslin first rector of the Benedictine university. Keuslin, a graduate of the Jesuit University of Dillingen, had established the Akademisches Gymnasium, a secondary school, at Salzburg five years earlier. By resolution of Emperor Ferdinand II, issued on October 8, the Gymnasium was raised to a university. While the Thirty Years' War raged outside the Archbishopric of Salzburg, the university was built up and maintained by a federation of Benedictine abbeys from Salzburg, Switzerland, Bavaria and Austria. In its early years, courses taught were theology, divinity, philosophy, law, and medicine.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
Salzburg (Stadt), Austria
© 2006-2019 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com