The grounds of the former Reininghaus brewery, covering 50 hectares, represent the largest undeveloped area near the center of Graz, Austria’s second largest city. They are southwest of the main train station in the district called Eggenberg, 2 kilometers away from Graz’s well-known clocktower. The area includes fields, ponds and in part landmarked industrial architecture from the former brewery. The historically rare basement vaults cover 1.5 hectares and were made to store beer in spaces up to 8 meters high.
In 1669, a brewery was built for the first time next to the largest duty building in Graz in the area of the stone field. In 1855, the Westphalian Johann Peter Reininghaus together with his brother Julius founded the company “Brüder Reininghaus” and built the first steam-run brewery in Styria. Around 1900, the brewery was the fifth largest in Austria. The brewery’s area of business spread out far beyond Austria to Greece, Egypt, East India, Zanzibar and South America.
Copyright: CC 3.0