Parc et Château de La Hulpe

Tourist attraction

BE |

Public

Dates from the early 19th century and was built for the Marquis Béthune and was completed around 1842. Originally constructed with red brick with octagonal corner towers it has since been transformed by Earnest’s son and grandson to its present appearance, completed in 1932. The four corner towers would become more rounded and the red brick walls were covered in mortar in an attempt to imitate French stone. On the side you can see the French formal garden with its typical symmetry – each side an exact replica of the other. Inside the garden are four statues representing the four seasons. The rest of the estate is in a completely different “romantic” style, such styles are considered English and is distinct from the French style. Near the chateau two other statues can be seen, representing war and peace. It is now used for private and local events such as weddings, balls, and fundraisers.

Address

La Hulpe
Belgium

Sponsored links

More about this place of interest

Routes nearby

Related channels

Sponsored links

© 2006-2017 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com