Places of Interest nearby
Location address: België, West-Vlaanderen, 8800, Roeselare, Blekerijstraat
Number of texts: 1
This cemetery came into use in 1806. During the occupation, the town had to reserve the plots that were still free for the burial of German soldiers.
A German cemetery
Because Roeselare accommodated several German field hospitals, many battle casualties died in this town. The Germans also buried deceased opponents here, who had perished in battle or as prisoners of war. After the war, many foreign war dead were reburied. Since 1956, all the German soldiers have lain in the German military cemetery in Menin. Some German families had the remains of their loved ones repatriated.
The town established a Memorial Cemetery for the war dead of Roeselare. It holds both military and civilian victims of the First and Second World Wars.
The French and British cemetery
After the war, France also allowed repatriation at the family’s expense. The French government had remains from other burial sites moved to Roeselare. As a result, over 700 French are now buried there, grouped on the south-eastern side of the old Town Cemetery.
The United Kingdom did not permit any repatriation of remains. The British cemetery is located on the southern periphery of the Town Cemetery, between the French military cemetery and the Memorial Cemetery.