Saint-André de Bruges Abbey is a Benedictine Abbey of the Congregation of the Annunciation in Sint-Andries, Bruges, Belgium. The charter of the abbey was signed on February 22, 1100. Count Robert II of Flanders ratified it in June 1100. It was decided to build the abbey on the site of the Church of St. Andrew and St. Anne. The first monks arrived on August 17, 1117. In 1188, the abbey became independent of its mother abbey and a period of prosperity began. It lasted until the fourteenth century. In 1240, after a long dispute between the abbot and the local parish priest, a wall was built in the church to divide it into two.
Copyright: CC 3.0