Places of Interest nearby
Location address: 1000, Brussel, Oude Graanmarkt, 7-11
Number of texts: 1
These former buildings of the G.K.F. Company (Gérard Koninckx Frères - wholesaler in exotic fruit) are a magnificent example of the architecture from 1920 - 1930, designed by the architect Eguenge Dhuicque (Brussels 1877 - 1955). He studied at the Brussels Academy for Arts ad with the architects Janlet in Brussels and Selmersheim in Paris. He designed a lot of industrial buildings. They were all realised with the same concern for details.
The structure of the building is in reinforced concrete, which was used a lot in this period. The use of the façade for publicity is typical for this era.
The mixed function of the building (house/trade/depot) was not unusual in the closeness of the canal and shows the wish to use all the available surface in the city.