On the artificial peninsula Kromme Hoek, between the reservoir and the northern port, the Institute for the archaeological patrimony of the Flemish district exposed the foundations of the "Vierboete" from 1284. It is probably the oldest lighthouse ever standing along the European coast, showing once more the importance of the port of Nieuwpoort at that time. The tower had a diameter of 8 m, a height of 20 m and a wall thickness of ± 80 cm. It was built in "moeffen", former bricks of a rather large format. In the year 1914 the Belgian army blew up this beacon and in 1930 the remaining aboveground ruin was evened.
- De Vierboete
- Arsenaalstraat 20, 8620 Nieuwpoort
- Web: www.nieuwpoort.be
Copyright: All rights reserved