The settlement has been mentioned for the first time in 1240 as “Sancti Georggi in terra nova” (the Sint-Joris parish in a new cultivated area).
Sint-Joris was freed from the III flooding water of Dunkirk some decades after Ramskapelle. The Sint-Joris-parish, an assisting parish of Ramskapelle between 1190 and 1240, was depending on the Sint-Niklaasabbey in Veurne.
The First World War also left a deep trace of destruction through the village. E.g. the centre of the village was blown up in 1914. The general reconstruction was finished around 1925. Since 1971, Sint-Joris belongs administratively to Nieuwpoort.
Copyright: All rights reserved