This renaissance structure was built in 1565-1566 by Joos Staesin, inhabitant of Ypres, to replace the old run-down town hall. The semi-detached tower in the front housed the town clock and the miniature carillon. At the bottom, the tower that rests on two pillars with round arch, was made into steps (the “pretecke”) where official announcements were read.
Above the entrance figures a gracious wrought iron sign with the coat of arms of the town. The ground floor is used as a restaurant. Upstairs there is a lovely dining room with a gracious mantelpiece and beautiful leaded windows from Wybo which represent the coats of arms of the profane and ecclesiastic rulers of that time.
Copyright: All rights reserved