The Church of St. Vedastus was named after the Bishop of Arras who defeated a bear. The church has stood here in its present form since 1820, but there was already a castle chapel at the time of the Lords of Menen. This chapel later became the parish church of the new settlement. The oldest sources that refer to the ‘altar of Menen' date from the year 1087. The oldest part of the present church, the tower base, goes back to the mid-15th century and is constructed in Balegem limestone. The present church is in a plain classicistic style. The façade is reminiscent of a Greek temple. In a recess in the façade we see, along with St. Vedastus and the bear, St. Rochus - and his dog - and a fine statue of St. John the Baptist.
-Accessible to disabled persons
- St. Vedastuskerk
- Rijselstraat 51-57, 8930 Menen
Copyright: All rights reserved