The cathedral of Saint Bavon has been destroyed and rebuilt several times and now consists of different styles, from the Romanesque of the crypt, the flamboyant Gothic of the nave to the Brabant style Gothic of the tower.
The interior is impressive with its numerous columns and three naves. The oldest church of Gent, having been built in the 10th century, it shelters veritable treasures like an 18th century Rococo pulpit in marble, a Romanesque crypt which is the largest in Belgium with 15th and 16th century frescoes, and above all its 22 chapels, the first one being where Charles V was baptised in 1500. The ninth chapel holds “The conversion of Saint Bavon “(16th century) by Rubens. There is also a beautiful, 18th century high altar in marble depicting St Bavon ascending to heaven.
The object that really caps the visit St Bavon is its magnificent polyptych, “The mystic lambs “a 15th century painting by Hubert and Jan Van Eyck made up of 12 oak panels with 8 polychrome volets, painted front and back. It’s a true marvel. If a copy is exhibited in the cathedral, the original is there as well.
The stained glass windows are also worth seeing, but unfortunately they are from the 19th century as the original ones donated by Charles V and Phillip II were destroyed in 1566.
Copyright: All rights reserved