This brick church of Nederbrakel with three naves and with its tower in the form of a bell dominates the market place. The ancient 13th or 14th century tower of saint Peter’s church was completely burnt down in 1750.The present late gothic square tower was built between 1515 and 1551.When the church was completely renovated and enlarged from 1828 under the direction of the architect P Clepens of Audenarde it was decided to join this tower to the nave.
The latest restoration was completed in 1997. Two years later the restoration of the “Wasteel” carillon with its 49 bells was undertaken. The church council and the working group “Wasteelbeiaard” manage the calendar of carillon events and, during summer, foreign bell-ringers are invited to come and play.
The old dean, Bogaert, organised the renovation of the Reygaert organ.
The high altar and the altar of the Sacred Heart in the neo-classical interior came from the church of Saint Martin de Renaix and were bought in 1897.
Two matchless paintings by Jan Hendrik De Coene (born in Nederbrakel in 1798) depict “the miraculous rescue of Saint Peter” and “ the doubting of Saint Thomas”.A magnificent lectern dates from the same period.
A statue of Saint Peter in chains, patron saint of the church, by Aloïs De Beule (Ghent) in 1937, stands above the entrance to the church.
Copyright: All rights reserved