Places of Interest nearby
Number of texts: 1
The church of Saint Maure is an imposing building in a small village on the banks of the Schelde. Its stone tower, which was raised higher in the early 14th century, is a remnant of the original Romanesque church.
The choir, in Tournai stone, dates from the 13th century, while the nave was changed to a classical style in brick in 1775 with a stucco interior. Damage caused in 1940 was repaired during the war.
The organ dating from 1650 is protected; the altars, altar screen and confessionals are 18th century. Paintings from the same period depict Saint Maure and The Descent from the Cross (after Rubens).
Popular devotion supports a Lourdes grotto in the church (1899).In the brick wall (1886) encircling the graveyard are numerous processional chapels. The marble funeral monuments in the church are of the viscounts of the castle, which was burnt down in 1973.
The park of the chateau is open to the public.