Late classical building from 1794, completed in 1831. Three naves in a rectangular choir, crowned with a 35 meter tower and two clocks.
The church is the third one in the village, after the previous two were destroyed by fire or demolition.
The altar dates from 1843, in Louis XIV style. It has a Descent from the Cross from a somewhat later date. In the 1980s the new altar was set up, made from parts of the pulpit. The oak likeness of the patron saint, Saint Servatius, is in the sacristy. The Entombment of Christ is a copy of a Caravaggio from the Vatican. The Holy Trinity, a Flemish Primitive, was restaured in 2008 by the Royal Institute for the Artistic Heritage of Belgium.
Of the numerous other paintings and objects, a few come from the Romanesque Saint Lambert Chapel (1050) in Lelle. The Van Steenlant stroll refers to a noble family of Berg-Lelle.
Copyright: All rights reserved