In the midst of the market stands the noteworthy collegiate church of Sint Sulpitius, one of the finest examples of Brabant Gothic (Demer Gothic). It was built mainly in 1417-1534 using the characteristic reddish brown brick. The choir dates from 1320. The small tower, known as "mostaardpot" (mustard pot), has a carillon with 43 bells.
The church houses interesting works of art including superb carvings on the pulpit, altars and confessionals. In the choir can be seen magnificent Late-Gothic choir stalls dated 1491 and the tomb of Philip of Orange-Nassau, who died in 1618; the font of St Jan Berchmann in the right side aisle and the treasure in a room adjoining the choir also warrant close examination. The main altar (18th C.) is by Michael van der Vorst; before it on the right is a work of the Antwerp school "Worship of the Kings".
Copyright: All rights reserved