The church of St Christopher

Heritage

BE |

Public | DutchFrenchGerman

Source: Wizpr.guide

Copyright: All rights reserved

The church of St Christopher of Racour blends Romanesque and Gothic architecture. It is built from Overlaar quartzite, Gobertange stone and Lincent tufa. There is a tower, a nave, two side aisles, a transept and chancel with apse with three walls. The sturdy tower dates from the second half of the 14th century, rising to a height of 33 metres and adjoined by a stair turret. The nave and chancel date from the 15th century. The chancel is flanked by two neo-Gothic annexes. During the first half of the 20th century, a restoration programme partly revealed the stuccoed interior decoration dating from the middle of the 18th century.
The interior of the tower features the use of two types of ceiling. The first level is covered by ridged vaulting, while the second has a ribbed vault. On the first level, the nave, crossing and transept feature great Gothic arches. The arms of the transept are covered by ribbed vaults. The chancel and apse have a ceiling decorated with stuccoes depicting rocks. The furnishings feature statues of St Christopher (13th and 18th centuries), as well as Gothic baptismal fonts decorated with human heads and dating from the 15th century.
 
Listed (10-09-1943)

Copyright: All rights reserved

More information

Address

Belgium

Sponsored links

More about this place of interest

Routes nearby

Related channels

Sponsored links

© 2006-2017 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com