The church of the Immaculate Conception in Sougné-Remouchamps is a single-nave building with a tower in front and a chancel in three sections behind. The church, which was built in 1739 under the guidance of abbot Houssonloge, replaced the initial building constructed in 1230. The church was consecrated in 1744 and dedicated to the Immaculate Conception. It was subsequently enlarged by two bays and a chancel in 1888 by M. Hallet.
The square tower, which bears witness to the initial 13th-century church, is built in limestone and chained at the corners. It has a more recent arched door with crooks (18th century). The church tower is four-sided and in slate, with skylights.
The nave features a high limestone dado and is toothed at the corners, as are the uprights of the windows. The nave has six bays lit by convex windows with lintel. The chancel consists of a single span ending with a chevet with three walls. The ceiling is vaulted and adjoins a sacristy to the east.
The church has a tiled bâtière roof with furring pieces on a flat course. Note the altar dating from the 18th century, the pulpit and the stalls in the chancel.
Copyright: All rights reserved