Places of Interest nearby
Number of texts: 1
The only original part of this church is the choir dating from 1500. It was destroyed several times, the last being on 10th August 1914 when it was burnt down by the Germans.
It was rebuilt in 1924 at the same time as the chapel holding the relics of Saint Hadelin. He was a monk disciple of Saint Remacle and lived at Celles near the Lesse in the 7th century. In 1046 the remains of the saint were placed in a reliquary decorated with silver reliefs. It is a work of art from the Meuse region in the form of a sarcophagus with silver panels illustrating the life of the saint. It’s at Visé because the community of monks of Saint Hadelin moved here from Celles in the 14th century.
As well as the reliquary the church has a bust of the saint, bas reliefs from Jean Del Cour, a lectern and organs.