Situated next to the Maison Loumaye or château Bodart, the tower of Bonne-Espérance castle dominates the surrounding countryside. The predecessor to the current building, of which nothing appears to remain, is traditionally attributed to the Templars. It wasn't until the end of the 16th century that this original structure was succeeded by a brick and limestone building that is red, black and white in places, with a sandstone rubble base and slate roof. This two-storey structure has a five-level square tower under a hexagonal spire. It is decorated with emblazoned limestone panels dated 1588 and has a sun and moon motif on the opposite side. The other openings in the main façade have been modified, probably at the end of the 19th century. A porte cochère from the 16th or 17th century, as well as a gate open on to side buildings that provide access to the rear of the building and the façade with seven arches under windows that are more recent. At right angles to the west, a largely reworked structure has a distinctive neo-Mosan tower. This style continues to the stables and car ports, which have been built using some recycled materials. The façade on the street side extends with outbuildings, most of which have also been altered. The noteworthy fixtures inside the castle consist mainly of some interesting fireplaces.
Building (excluding communal areas and neo-Mosan tower) listed on 9th December 1991
Copyright: All rights reserved