The tollgate of Solières or the Ferme du Manoir is first mentioned in a legal document in 1362 in favour of Solière abbey, which is close by. However, the current sandstone, limestone and brick building, which is a fine example of the Mosan style, probably dates from the beginning of the 17th century. Two towers adorn the façades, one circular in the corner with the main building, the other is pentagonal and was probably built as part of restoration works in around 1930 in the centre of the rear façade. Separate to the circular tower, which is built entirely from rubble, the building over two and a half storeys consists of a high base wall made from rubble, separated from the upper levels in brick by one or two courses of dripstones. The whole is chained at the corners, as well as around the windows, and has a slate roof. The rear façade overlooks a courtyard flanked by reworked agricultural outbuildings. Inside there is a 17th century fireplace.
Building listed on 21st April 1982
Copyright: All rights reserved