In its present form, the Church of St. Francis dates from 1861. However, the history of the church goes back further in time. The Capuchin Friars established their monastery and church in 1603. Nevertheless, a hundred years later, in 1706, the entire complex was destroyed in the siege of Menen. Reconstruction started in 1710.
In a certain sense, the French Revolution meant the end of the monastery. The monks were violently expelled and the monastery buildings were used for either civil or military purposes. In the end, the dilapidated buildings had to make way for a car park.
-Accessible to disabled persons
- St. Franciscuskerk
- Ieperstraat, 8930 Menen
Copyright: All rights reserved