Built in the 11th century, the fortress of Limbourg sits on a rocky spur surrounded by a loop of the river Vesdre.
Its strategic location meant that it was coveted by the warring nations of Western Europe.
Captured by Louis XIV in 1675, it was demolished before being handed over to Spain. After being fortified again by Louis XIV in 1701 during the Spanish War of Succession, the town was captured by the Duke of Marlborough in 1703.
It later became the property of Austria, and the fortress was abandoned militarily by Emperor Joseph II in 1781.
This led to the loss of many military buildings, but at the same time preserved an architectural whole of tremendous quality.
Architectural ensemble listed by Ministerial Decree of the Walloon Region (12-10-1994)
Listed as an exceptional heritage site of Wallonia
Copyright: All rights reserved