Chateau de Froidcour has been listed as a monument since 1989.
Between the villages of Stoumont and La Gleize, in a splendid setting and attracting attention, the château de Froidcour dominates the Amblève valley. There was previously another castle on this site that was built in the Middle Ages to guard the valley. Around 1600 it was replaced by another castle called Chateau de Salm, which was the seat of Stoumont's glory. The origin of the glory of Froidcour, named after its first inhabitants, remains a mystery. The castle was accessible via a bridge.
In the early 15th century she certainly maintained strong relations with the abbey of Stavelot-Malmedy.
From the 16th to the French Revolution it was the main residence of the Counts of Lynden, barons of Froidcourt.
The castle was destroyed in the early 20th century.
The present château de Froidcour, an impressive building complex with its castle tower and lookout towers, is unmistakably medieval in character, was only built in 1912 and completed in 1919 by Charles-Albert de Harenne, mayor of Stoumont.
Through Mr Wouters and Mrs de Terwagne, the château de Froidcour has come into the possession of Knight de Harenne, who lives in it.
Since 2015 there has been a holiday villa for 22 persons for rent.
Otherwise, the castle is not accessible.
© 2006-2018 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com