This impressive bridge forms part of the Trans-Venn line, built during the First World War for military purposes.
It was absolutely essential at this location since, under the exacting criteria applied by the German army's leaders, the line was to have only moderate gradients. The bridge was destroyed by German soldiers during the 1940 withdrawal of the Wehrmacht. However, a temporary rebuild was carried out by US troops during the war.
After the war, Belgian State Railways became responsible for the viaduct.