It was consecrated to Notre-Dame, and started on 15 March 1311, by Prince-Evêque
Thibaut de Bar. The choir was finished in 1377 and the entire structure was completed in 1536. The church
is a harmonious marriage of 14th-century rayonnnant Gothic and 15th-century flamboyant Gothic. From
the outside, the visitor’s eye is drawn to the enormous square-plan tower topped by a
spire which burnt down in 1803.
Two other towers stand alongside the choir. A large rose window, Li Rondia, was fitted
with new stained glass panels by maître R. Julin (exterior diameter: 9m, interior diameter: 6 m).
In the right lateral nave, a staircase leads to the church’s Romanesque crypt built by
Théoduin de Bavière (1066).
The central semi-circular apse is adorned with a large figure of Christ on the cross from the end of the 12th century.