Saint-Jean-Baptiste Church is a church in Quebec City, Quebec located at 410, rue Saint-Jean. The original church structure was completed in 1847 but was destroyed in the disastrous fire of 1881 which leveled a significant portion of the city. The current church was built in 1884 out of seven types of Italian marble. Designed by architect Joseph-Ferdinand Peachy in the Second Empire style, the church was inspired by the facade of the Église de la Sainte-Trinité in Paris. It features a 240 ft spire, 36 stained-glass windows, and dozens of statues and paintings among other ornate deccorations. The Gagnon brothers were both organists at the church; Ernest Gagnon from 1853-1864 and Gustave Gagnon from 1864-1876.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0