St. Anne's, Gladstone Avenue (in earlier documents, St Anne's, Brockton and popularly the Group of Seven Church) in Toronto is a National Historic Site and parish of the Anglican Church of Canada. It was established in 1863 as the parish for the hamlet of Brockton, Canada and is one of the seven (formerly 12) parishes of Parkdale Deanery. The current building, dating to 1907-8 and overlooking Dufferin Street, is noted for its distinctive design, based on the architecture of the Hagia Sophia of Constantinople. The interior of the church is decorated by artwork by members of the famous Group of Seven circle of painters, depicting events of the Old and New Testaments and dating to 1923. The artwork by J. E. H. MacDonald, Frederick Varley, and Franklin Carmichael is religious iconography, something they are not generally known for.
Copyright: CC 3.0