In 1687, near Saint-François-du-Lac, this fort was built by Jean Crevier. It was also known as Fort Saint-François. The fort's purpose was to defend the French inhabitants in the region against Iroquois attacks encouraged by the British. It was attacked by the Iroquois in November 1689, and again in August 1693, when Crevier was killed. The fort became an integral part of the Abenaki village of Saint-François in 1700, and was abandoned following the end of hostilities with the Iroquois in 1701. The village was destroyed on 4 October 1759 by Rogers' Rangers (under Major Robert Rogers). The population was decimated. The village became Odanak afterwards.
Copyright: CC 3.0