Obersteckholz is a municipality in the Oberaargau administrative district in the canton of Bern in Switzerland.
Obersteckholz was the property of the Baron of Langenstein. In 1194, he founded St. Urban's Abbey and granted the village to the Abbey as part of its endowment. It was part of the Abbey's court of Langenthal until 1406 when it became part of the Bernese bailiwick of Wangen. Following the 1798 French invasion it became part of the district of Langenthal under the Helvetic Republic. In 1803, after the collapse of the Republic, it became part of the Aarwangen district. The village became an independent municipality in 1831. Until 1790 and again after 1975 Obersteckholz and Untersteckholz shared a single school district.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
Obersteckholz, Oberaargau, Switzerland
© 2006-2021 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com